Job Announcement and Application
PURPOSE: The Community Outreach and Communications Specialist will assist and support regional and national communication activities of the FracTracker Alliance; and engage and support organizations, primarily but not exclusively at the community-scale, fighting fossil fuel harms in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia – especially in the Ohio River corridor.
- Assist with website content development and editing, including blog posts and responding to comments
- Assist with writing and preparing monthly e-newsletter
- Develop and post social media content and respond to comments
- Engage with local and regional organizations involved in fighting oil and gas harms – through email, conference calls, listserves, presentations, and attendance at key meetings
- Elicit guest blogs from organizations and researchers working in affected communities
- Author and post personal blogs about key community issues or fights
- Coordinate with Manager of Data and Technology and/or regional coordinators to create maps and data analyses in support of key community issues or needs
- Promote FracTracker’s mobile and web applications and provide training – in-person and online – to font line communities and organizations about the use of these technologies
- Assist in updating and developing digital and printable training tools, guides, and tutorials on various topics of interest to our website visitors and clients
- Assist in developing user surveys to obtain feedback on the FracTracker web experiences and experiences with other FracTracker tools or activities
- Assist in engagement of news media on oil and gas issues and FracTracker’s work under direction of the Manager of Communications and Development
- Assist with grant reporting, as needed
- Other related-communications and community-support duties, as assigned
POSITION REPORTS TO: Manager of Communications and Development
PREFERRED SKILLS: Writing and editing; website design; media relations; public speaking; citizen science; data management; social media; teamwork; interpersonal; and familiarity with environmental justice issues, and knowledge of environmental and/or public health concerns or other issues of relevance to understanding and addressing the implications of oil and gas extraction and climate change
MINIMUM EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field OR natural or physical sciences, environmental studies, citizen science, social science, public health, public policy or other relevant field; three years of experience exercising the skills listed above; additional academic studies (e.g. graduate coursework or research) can substitute for work experience; ability and willingness to travel (~10% of time); valid U.S. driver’s license.
LOCATION: Pittsburgh, PA STATUS: Full time (37.5 hours per week) – exempt
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Starting salary of $45,000 – $50,000 annually (based on experience), generous healthcare benefits (medical, dental, vision), paid sick leave, 15 vacation days per year, matching 401k program
Interested candidates should apply online using the form below by July 6, 2018 at 5:00pm ET.
Online Application Form
Community Outreach and Communications Specialist Position
Deadline: July 6, 2018 – 5:00 PM ET
The FracTracker Alliance studies, maps, and communicates the risks of oil and gas development to protect our planet and support renewable energy transformation. Learn more at www.FracTracker.org
The FracTracker Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. All decisions regarding recruiting, hiring, promotion, assignment, training, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment are made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.