Working with FracTracker
FracTracker Alliance is always looking for energetic and talented college and graduate-level students with a passion for the environment and data to join us.
Working with FracTracker Alliance offers students and researchers invaluable resume-building work experience and networking opportunities. Not only will interns and visiting scholars work closely with members of our team, but they will also have the opportunity to learn about and contribute to many aspects of our oil and gas work. Interns and visiting scholars will also have the opportunity to participate in events that increase their professional networks and interact with our partner organizations.
Learn more about our Internships and Visiting Scholar Program below. Meet our current interns.
General Internship Responsibilities
The responsibilities of both unpaid and paid interns revolve around the daily work of the other FracTracker staff, as well as time-sensitive projects. Due to FracTracker’s web and mapping focus, the primary skills we seek out of internship applicants are those that would allow them to do GIS work, assist with various web and communications projects, or a combination of the two. Responsibilities will vary, but may include:
- Data mining, cleaning, management, and GIS mapping
- Website and e-newsletter maintenance
- Communication, marketing, and social media tasks
- Translation of data into information and stories for the blog
- Project-specific outreach to nonprofit and other external partners
- Event planning and organization
- Helping to maintain/enhance social media and networking presence
- Administrative support when needed (including data entry, schedule coordination, taking and preparing meeting notes, etc.)
- Field research
- Participation in software development, integration, and system testing
Internship Application Process
Applicants should be currently attending or have recently attended an academic institution, preferably in the US for logistical purposes.
Internship applications are accepted either through email or through our online form. Please refer to the job description (above) to determine how you should apply for that specific position.
Upon receipt of your application and the closing of the application process, our Manager of Communications and Development (MCD) will screen and select applicants for interviews that fit the skills being sought by FracTracker for projects at the time.
Interviews will then be conducted by the MCD and the position’s direct supervisor.
Questions about our current and upcoming internship opportunities should be directed to Sam Rubright at email@example.com.
FracTracker Alliance studies, maps, and communicates the risks of oil and gas development to protect our planet and support the renewable energy transformation. Learn more
To date, we have hosted interns from the following institutions:
- Auburn University
- Columbia University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Denison University
- Dickinson College
- Drexel University
- Duquesne University
- Grand Valley State University
- Humboldt State University
- Kaplan University
- McGill University
- Michigan Tech
- North Eastern University
- Northern Arizona University
Collaborations and Projects
Our interns and student collaborators have worked on some incredible projects, as showcased below: