Each spring, we welcome college and graduate-level students with a passion for the environment and data to join FracTracker Alliance as interns.
Working with FracTracker Alliance offers students and researchers invaluable resume-building work experience and networking opportunities. Not only will interns and visiting scholars work closely with members of our team, but they will also have the opportunity to learn about and contribute to many aspects of our oil and gas work. Interns and visiting scholars will also have the opportunity to participate in events that increase their professional networks and interact with our partner organizations.
Learn more about our Internships and Visiting Scholar Program in the sections below.
General Internship Description
The responsibilities of interns revolve around the daily work of the other FracTracker staff, as well as time-sensitive projects. Due to FracTracker’s web and mapping focus, the primary skills we seek out of internship applicants are those that would allow them to do GIS work, assist with various web and communications projects, or a combination of the two. Responsibilities will vary, but may include:
- Data mining, cleaning, management, and GIS mapping
- Website and e-newsletter maintenance
- Communication, marketing, and social media tasks
- Translation of data into information and stories for the blog
- Project-specific outreach to nonprofit and other external partners
- Event planning and organization
- Helping to maintain/enhance social media and networking presence
- Administrative support when needed (including data entry, schedule coordination, taking and preparing meeting notes, etc.)
- Field research
- Participation in software development, integration, and system testing
Applicants should be currently attending or have recently attended an academic institution, preferably in the US for logistical purposes.
Applications for FracTracker’s spring internships open each fall. Opportunities will be listed on the FracTracker website, and you can sign up to be notified by email using the form on this page.
FracTracker internships are paid positions.
FracTracker Alliance is a nonprofit environmental research organization based in the United States.
We map, analyze, and communicate the risks of oil, gas, and petrochemical development to advance just energy alternatives that protect public health, natural resources, and the climate.
We provide visual and technical tools to assist communities in mitigating negative impacts of extraction-related activities, particularly fracking. Since 2012, FracTracker Alliance has been a leading resource for maps, data, and analyses in our field. Learn more
To date, we have hosted interns from the following institutions:
- Auburn University
- Columbia University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Denison University
- Dickinson College
- Drexel University
- Duquesne University
- Grand Valley State University
- Humboldt State University
- Kaplan University
- McGill University
- Michigan Tech
- North Eastern University
- Northern Arizona University
Collaborations and Projects
Our interns and student collaborators have worked on some incredible projects, as showcased below: