Commenting Policy for FracTracker.org & Associated Platforms
FracTracker Alliance supports strong online discussions and networks. We do realize, however, that this topic is one of incredible importance and often-serious controversy. To encourage civility and create an environment that encourages participation, please follow our commenting policy, described below.
Our commenting format is referred to as “pre-moderation.” This means that a comment will not be posted publicly until our site moderators review it. Writers and moderators may choose to join in a comment thread to provide clarity, make additional inquiries, or relieve the thread’s hostility.
We will approve all comments submitted, even those that may be critical of the position taken, so long as comments do not contain any of the following:
- Off-topic discussions – based on the article/page where the comment is posted
- Pure rumors, allegations, conspiracy theories, or other information that we know to be false or unsubstantiated
- Trolling, which involves saying deliberately provocative things just to stir up trouble
- Personal information (i.e. phone numbers, addresses)
- Spam or unrelated promotions and advertising
- Profanity, name-calling, or a personal attack
- Libel, defamation, condoning or encouraging unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
- Threat, hate speech, or material that is racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
Valid comments are typically approved within 3 days. If after that time your comment has not been approved, you may email us to request a rejection explanation. Please include the nature of your comment and date it was submitted. If the majority of a comment is appropriate, aside from a statement that begins to infringe upon our policy, we may still approve the comment after removing the inflammatory statement. The removed portion will be indicated using square brackets. e.g. [statement removed]
Long-story-short: Be polite.
Additionally, if you submit your email address on our website (through our online forms or comments) or through our app, you are giving us permission to contact you if necessary.
If you see a comment on our site that you feel should not be there, let us know so we can review it: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please keep in mind that our guidelines are a work in progress. We will likely adjust our commenting policy as we go. If you have a suggestion, just let us know.